Open letter and warning from former Tea Party to the Occupy Wall Street movement

Reprinted letter by “vaslittlecrow”:

I don’t expect you to believe me. I want you to read this, take it with a grain of salt, and do the research yourself. You may not believe me, but I want your movement to succeed. From a former tea partier to you, young new rebels, there’s some advice to prevent what happened to our now broken movement from happening to you. I don’t agree with everything your movement does, but I sympathize with your cause and agree on our common enemy. You guys are very intelligent and I trust that you will take this in

To see the full content, please pay it forward and help support us by sharing this page by clicking one of the buttons below:

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

I don't think democratic sympathy is as threatening or invalidating to the movement as was the false sympathy of the GOP. We all know President Obama's top donor was Goldman Sachs, and that the Obama administration has been pushing the state Attorney Generals to settle with the banks. The #occupywallstreet movement wants to see a perp walk. As long as we do not forget this distinction we should be ok for now.

2. btodder says:

I don’t think democratic sympathy is as threatening or invalidating to the movement as was the false sympathy of the GOP. We all know President Obama’s top donor was Goldman Sachs, and that the Obama administration has been pushing the state Attorney Generals to settle with the banks. The #occupywallstreet movement wants to see a perp walk. As long as we do not forget this distinction we should be ok for now.

3. Guest says:

Great article – open and sincere. Aside from dress for image I was very impressed with your points. It's funny how you mention Rosa Parks and provide link explaining how it was orchestrated purposely which I could agree with – for a good cause. The irony is I believe the Tea Party was initially devised to represent the extreme right and assimilated later but when you separated and played hardball by refusing to adopt the status quo they dropped you. My problem wasn't just the manipulation but the right (sorry to label) using grass root values to achieve a greater base that supports their ideologies but like I said good point because it happens on the left too. I very much agree with you when you say we're on the same side … it's the 99% get out there in your Sunday best or whatever you choose to wear and bring your voice again!

1. TheEditor says:

I've been following the Tea Party since its inception.  You are incorrect that the Tea Party was "initially devised to represent the extreme right".  None of my associates that are involved with the Tea Party were involved with right, extreme right, or any other.  The affiliation was with the Constitution.  That simple.  The Tea Party was later infiltrated by the powers that be and diluted to the point of not being effective. You are way off-base in your conclusions.

We independents have no leader with the exception of the Constitution and our principles.  For an independent person to follow a leader would be an oxymoron.  There are certain people that we would choose to represent us, but it is those that are stuck in the left/right paradigm that need a leader.  We lead and our representatives will follow us.  That is the way it is supposed to be, and that is what these young kids today are fighting to regain.

You need to quit trying to splinter the people.  We will all need each other to rid ourselves of the vermin in D.C.  When we cleanse the political system, we can go back to bickering again.

1. Guest says:

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure where I insulted you but it was unintended.  When I said you refused to adopt the status quo they dropped you – it was intended to support your independence.   You say you have no leaders and I'm off-base but Sarah Palin was promoted as the Tea Party Darling and was an ad-hoc figurehead, if I'm mistaken it was only logical.  What I'm trying to say is you have some great points, so re-start your message and express yourself alongside the occupiers – the worse thing that could happen to the government is both sides coming together and finding some kind of common resolution.

1. TheEditor says:

I didn't say you insulted me, but I did say that you were way off on your assumption that the Tea Party was "initially devised to represent the extreme right".  The Tea Party is not extreme right and never has claimed to be so.  We hold closer to a Libertarian doctrine.  It is easy to fall prey to the labels that MSM wants to stick to every group.  That simplifies their task of controlling public opinion, and to the simple among us, it gives them something to shoot back with without thinking about the basis for the label.

I have no idea where you get your information on Palin.  If you are listening to MSM and thinking that is the end-all for information on politics, then you are allowing yourself to be misled.  She's not my leader, and no one I know follows her.  Again, a Libertarian/Tea Party member does not have a leader.  If we have someone to represent us, we are THEIR leader.

The message expressed here is solid and is not an attempt to form a consensus with anyone.  It is advice to the occupiers.  The occupiers have not yet solidified their message and their intent.  Once they do that parallels can be drawn.

The message that comes from the Libertarians will not necessarily be at one with the occupiers, unless their main goal is to get rid of the criminals in D.C.  The political/banking cartel that has taken over our government.  This has been the message of the Libertarians and the true Tea Party from the start.

1. Guest says:

Fine, I'll retract my assumptions because they were derived from the Tea Party Express functions and political speakers that were broadcast heavily by all three networks, and whose message was relayed significantly to my personal dismay.  If the cross-country tours had included both left and right-wing political speakers I would not had made those assumptions.  I never stated you had a leader I understood what you said in your article about the movement being hijacked and used for political gain.
            The Tea Party message never resonated with me, as I'm Canadian and like you said it was based on founding father principles as stated in the Constitution.  The message didn't resonate globally because it seemed to try to reclaim American Supremacy, which offends those who've suffered globally due to actions based on the national security and foreign policy of the US.  Bottom line, I never felt included so the message was alienating to me.It's called Occupy Wall Street, your last paragraph is exactly what they are doing there, it's also why the movement is spreading across the globe.   It's about humanity and fairness to everyone by ending the exploitation across many sectors, political, financial, environmental, social, etc.  There wouldn't be so many issues if there weren't so many common problems.I understand the message from the protestors on all it's different levels and it's leaderless movement.  A consensus is sure to be contentious (as it should be), but I firmly believe if there is middle ground it's worth finding.   It isn't about assimilating into one mind but remaining steadfast in your opinion and respecting the other while you seek common ground.  The opinions can remain different, but the goal needs to be the same.

2. Vas Littlecrow Wojta says:

3. Guest says:

Thanks to both of you for communicating yourselves so well.  I don't like the 'criticism' I hear when the Tea Party is mentioned these days, it's like dancing on a grave and as much it didn't resonate with me, I was very impressed by how the Tea Party declared themselves separate from the Republican Party and refused to play ball.   I wish all these movements could be seen as non-partisan and I've seen a "Don't Tread on Me" sign at the Occupy Wall Street protests so I've been hoping it will be more diverse and inclusive.

4. Guest says:

Great article – open and sincere. Aside from dress for image I was very impressed with your points. It’s funny how you mention Rosa Parks and provide link explaining how it was orchestrated purposely which I could agree with – for a good cause. The irony is I believe the Tea Party was initially devised to represent the extreme right and assimilated later but when you separated and played hardball by refusing to adopt the status quo they dropped you. My problem wasn’t just the manipulation but the right (sorry to label) using grass root values to achieve a greater base that supports their ideologies but like I said good point because it happens on the left too. I very much agree with you when you say we’re on the same side … it’s the 99% get out there in your Sunday best or whatever you choose to wear and bring your voice again!

1. TheEditor says:

I’ve been following the Tea Party since its inception.  You are incorrect that the Tea Party was “initially devised to represent the extreme right”.  None of my associates that are involved with the Tea Party were involved with right, extreme right, or any other.  The affiliation was with the Constitution.  That simple.  The Tea Party was later infiltrated by the powers that be and diluted to the point of not being effective. You are way off-base in your conclusions.

1. Guest says:

Thanks for the reply, I’m not sure where I insulted you but it was unintended.  When I said you refused to adopt the status quo they dropped you – it was intended to support your independence.   You say you have no leaders and I’m off-base but Sarah Palin was promoted as the Tea Party Darling and was an ad-hoc figurehead, if I’m mistaken it was only logical.  What I’m trying to say is you have some great points, so re-start your message and express yourself alongside the occupiers – the worse thing that could happen to the government is both sides coming together and finding some kind of common resolution.

1. TheEditor says:

I didn’t say you insulted me, but I did say that you were way off on your assumption that the Tea Party was “initially devised to represent the extreme right”.  The Tea Party is not extreme right and never has claimed to be so.  We hold closer to a Libertarian doctrine.  It is easy to fall prey to the labels that MSM wants to stick to every group.  That simplifies their task of controlling public opinion, and to the simple among us, it gives them something to shoot back with without thinking about the basis for the label.

I have no idea where you get your information on Palin.  If you are listening to MSM and thinking that is the end-all for information on politics, then you are allowing yourself to be misled.  She’s not my leader, and no one I know follows her.  Again, a Libertarian/Tea Party member does not have a leader.  If we have someone to represent us, we are THEIR leader.

1. Guest says:

Fine, I’ll retract my assumptions because they were derived from the Tea Party Express functions and political speakers that were broadcast heavily by all three networks, and whose message was relayed significantly to my personal dismay.  If the cross-country tours had included both left and right-wing political speakers I would not had made those assumptions.  I never stated you had a leader I understood what you said in your article about the movement being hijacked and used for political gain.
            The Tea Party message never resonated with me, as I’m Canadian and like you said it was based on founding father principles as stated in the Constitution.  The message didn’t resonate globally because it seemed to try to reclaim American Supremacy, which offends those who’ve suffered globally due to actions based on the national security and foreign policy of the US.  Bottom line, I never felt included so the message was alienating to me.It’s called Occupy Wall Street, your last paragraph is exactly what they are doing there, it’s also why the movement is spreading across the globe.   It’s about humanity and fairness to everyone by ending the exploitation across many sectors, political, financial, environmental, social, etc.  There wouldn’t be so many issues if there weren’t so many common problems.I understand the message from the protestors on all it’s different levels and it’s leaderless movement.  A consensus is sure to be contentious (as it should be), but I firmly believe if there is middle ground it’s worth finding.   It isn’t about assimilating into one mind but remaining steadfast in your opinion and respecting the other while you seek common ground.  The opinions can remain different, but the goal needs to be the same.

2. Most members of the tea party movement loathed the Tea Party Express.  But in any case, I thank you from shedding light on how the movement looked like to your part of the world.  Aside, from that, TheEditor is spot on from his observations about the original movement.

3. Guest says:

Thanks to both of you for communicating yourselves so well.  I don’t like the ‘criticism’ I hear when the Tea Party is mentioned these days, it’s like dancing on a grave and as much it didn’t resonate with me, I was very impressed by how the Tea Party declared themselves separate from the Republican Party and refused to play ball.   I wish all these movements could be seen as non-partisan and I’ve seen a “Don’t Tread on Me” sign at the Occupy Wall Street protests so I’ve been hoping it will be more diverse and inclusive.

5. DJShay12 says:

Ummm, "pre=Presidential Election Tea Party Movement"? We didn't hear the phrase "Tea Party" until well after Obama was inaugurated.

1. Vas Littlecrow Wojta says:

Yes, that was the root of the problem and why I mention it.

6. DJShay12 says:

Ummm, “pre=Presidential Election Tea Party Movement”? We didn’t hear the phrase “Tea Party” until well after Obama was inaugurated.

1. Yes, that was the root of the problem and why I mention it.